ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Mechanical Engineering was established in the year 2006.The Department has a team of dedicated, well qualified and experienced faculty which includes professors to provide in depth knowledge and training in the field of Mechanical engineering covering energy, thermal, design, manufacturing, industrial management, and to expose to the latest research, development and techniques so as to cater to the growing needs of the Industries and to mould the students. The department offers an under graduate program B.E.( Mechanical Engineering) and a post-graduate program M.E. (Thermal Engineering).
Mechanical Engineering involves the design, manufacture or operation of any product or system that moves and uses or produces energy. As a mechanical engineer, the knowledge and skills of the students will be applied from design right through to product usage. Mechanical Engineering programme integrates theory with practical learning through design projects with industry partners, solving real-life problems, providing first-hand insights into complete design cycles in commercial enterprises, and linking you to industry even before graduating. The versatility of Mechanical Engineering opens up a wide array of career options, from the traditional aerospace, automotive and manufacturing industries, to robotics, biomedical technology, energy systems and sustainable technology.
The department has well experienced and dedicated faculty members with many active researchers with active involvement in R & D projects. All the laboratories in the department are well equipped to carry out the experiments of both UG/PG programmes. Many of the faculty members have presented their research papers in International conferences.
The department has also developed good contacts with reputed core companies and many students take up their internship training / project works in these companies. The department organizes many training/faculty development programmes for the faculty/technical staff and students periodically. Invited lectures from renowned personalities are regularly arranged for the benefit of the students and staff members of the department. The department encourages the faculty and students to attend conferences, workshops and other training programs to enhance their technical skills. The students of the department are well placed in many of the reputed companies throughout the world.
Started in the academic year 2006-2007 with an intake of 60 students. Intake of BE increased to 90 in 2007-2008 and 120 in 2009-2010 and 180 in 2014-2015.Applied for NBA in 2015
Started in the year 2014-2015 with an intake of 18 students.
VISION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- To accomplish eminence and become a centre of excellence for higher learning through dedicated development of minds, advancement of knowledge and Professional application of skills to meet the global demands.
MISSION OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Develop the intellectual strength of students and guiding them towards technical advancement.
- Synergise the efforts of department, inspire creativity and foster excellence and innovation in teaching and learning.
- Nurture the development of mind, skill, and attitude and core competence of students.
- Attain leadership in planning and resource management so as to improve the quality and accessibility of technical education.
- Enable students shine in their academic pursuits, making them sensitive to the needs of the progressive industrial world.
- Organize a pluralistic and supportive environment that will stimulate scholars, students and staff of the highest caliber and contribute immensely to the process of Nation building through partnership with Community and Industry.
- PEO-1: Our graduates will have fundamental technical knowledge and develop core competency in diversified areas of Mechanical Engineering such as thermal, design and production and their related software with a view to expanding the knowledge horizon and inculcating lifelong learning among students.
- PEO-2: A major fraction of our graduates will pursue advanced studies, research and industrial product development in the field of Mechanical engineering through developing partnerships with industrial and research agencies thereby serving the needs of the industry, government, society and scientific community.
- PEO-3: Our graduates will be capable of building their own careers upon a solid foundation of knowledge and a strong sense of responsibility to serve their profession and society ethically.
- PEO-4: Our graduates will have effective communication and leadership skills and exhibit team work, problem solving and decision making skills by understanding contemporary issues thereby contributing to their overall personality and career development.
- An ability to apply knowledge of Mathematics, Science and Engineering.
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data.
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired need with in realistic constrains such as economics, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability.
- An ability to function on multidisciplinary teams.
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems.
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility.
- An ability to communicate effectively.
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context.
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning.
- A knowledge of contemporary issues.
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice.
- Well experienced and qualified teaching faculty.
- Dynamic training and placement cell.
- Industrial oriented skill development programs.
- MOU signed with leading companies and industrial training centers.
- Special audit courses conducted along with curriculum syllabi.
- Well equipped audio/visual room.
- Well equipped laboratories in high standards.
- Internship in tier-1 and tier-2 MNCs. DST catalysed and supported project.
The department is functioning with well equipped and state-of-art laboratories for the following disciplines; Cell Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Bioorganic chemistry, Instrumental Method of Analysis, Bioprocessing & Downstream Processing, Chemical Engineering, Immunology, Genetic Engineering and Molecular Biology.
Centre for Research
DST Funded Projects – MES, Cold Storage
Centre of Excellence – 3D Printing, Robotics
Internship training in core companies
Sree sastha offers joint programs and trainings with top organizations!
OUR ALUMNI LOVES US
|1||DR. SHANMUGASUNDARAM ANANDAN||MECH||PROFESSOR & PRINCIPAL||[email protected]|
|2||C.KARTHIKEYAN||MECH||AP & AHOD||[email protected]|
|5||MK.JAWAHAR||MECH||AP & HOD||[email protected]|
|8||S.BHAGAVATHI SHANKAR||MECH||AP||[email protected]|
|13||ROSSVELT PRABHU||MECH||AP||[email protected]|
|16||DEEPAN G||MECH||AP||[email protected]|
|18||S. KARTHICK RAM||AERO||AP||[email protected]|
|19||M RAMZANIA||AERO||AP||[email protected]|
The Head of the Department,
Department of Mechanical Engineering,
Sree Sastha Institute of Engineering and Technology,
Chennai - 600123